Military spouse educators will have an easier transition when moving to New York State after the The New York State Education Department Board of Regents created a Transitional J certificate.

The certificate, valid for one year, provides military spouses time to pass required tests for state certification. The certificate can be renewed for an additional two years if the candidate is on pace with the additional requirements.

A 2016 New York law provided expedited license approval process for a variety of occupations, but did not include military spouses employed in education.

“This presented potential retention issues for Soldiers who are deciding to come to Fort Drum,” said Sonja Draught, director of Fort Drum Plans, Analysis and Integration Office to DVIDs. “Additionally, there may be concerns in the area of financial readiness if the opportunity for dual-income families is not possible because the spouse is a teacher.”

Photo by Linda LaBonte Britt/Air Force