The Senate Armed Services Committee released a summary of its version of the National Defense Authorization Act Friday after days of mostly closed hearings.
Here are some of the items in the bill, which still has to pass the Senate and be reconciled with the House version. It:
- Gives a 5.2% pay raise to service members and DOD civilians but does not give additional pay to junior enlisted officers, as the House version does. The Senate draft asks for a study on the issue.
- Gives junior enlisted members more flexibility within the basic allowance for housing.
- Authorizes an $80 million increase for Impact Aid.
- Helps the military services establish a pre-enlistment scholarship program at community or junior colleges to assist in recruitment.
- Prohibits a BRAC round.
- Requires each installation with a nearby Indian Tribe, Native Hawaiian organization or Tribal interests have a dedicated liaison at the installation.
- Backs the Space Force’s vision for a single-component military service without a dedicated Space Force National Guard.
Marine Corps photo by Lance Cpl. Hunter Wagner